Full Project – IMPACT OF MANPOWER TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT IN THE OIL INDUSTRY IN NIGERIA
The impact of manpower training and development in the oil industry in Nigeria is ascertained to know whether the manpower training and staff development are effectively organized in the oil industry in Nigeria. It is the aim of this research work to find out scientifically uentifable conclusion on the aspect of the subject matter including training. Staff appraisal, staff development, Nigerianzation and delegation of responsibilities. In chapter one, it contains a general discussion on the impact of manpower training and development in the oil industry in Nigeria with particular reference to shell petroleum Department Company (5pdc). It wants further to state the problem to be studied and why this study was carried out, the scope and limitation of the study and the definition of terms. In chapter two contains the number of past related literature examined by other studies as it relates to the application of the nature of manpower in the oil industry in Nigeria, manpower process and type of training programs ETC. In chapter three deals with the design of the study, the method used In collecting relevant data and the way of distributing questionnaires and the treatment of data. This were analyzed and interpreted. Finally, the summary of findings, conclusion on the research and recommendation made by the research are all in chapter five, therefore if individual companies put the recommendation made in the study to use, there will be improve in the manpower training and development effort in order to have available all the time a crop of trained personnel ready to fill any position that may fall vacant at any point in time.
The study is concerned with the impact of manpower training and development in the oil industry in Nigeria in order that the reader or supervisor may be in a position to fully appreciate the significance and impact of this study, an idea of the oil industry is needed including its constituted forms and possibly its economic importance to the Nigeria economy. One thing to note is that oil in this context of study means crude oil therefore the firm considered on in this study are the exploration and production forms.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The backgrounds of this study portrays the need for training and developing new employees or staffs who are being promoted as self evident to the organization. The manpower training and development is more effective when there is additional training for effective performance. It is used to donate and teaching of the technical skills. Lack of skilled manpower training and development has always been given as the reason for our failure to realize the objective of our national development plans in private sector the power of economy was developed rapidly as the industrial and commercial organization spreading up all over the country. Therefore, it the nation was to progress, it must plan for its future manpower training and development.
The oil industry is comparatively young in this country Nigeria. Oil came into the limelight after the Nigeria independence in (1960) Oladum (1986:18) has proved a concise historical account of the evaluation of the oil industry in Nigeria this can be summarized as follows:
The research for oil in Nigeria dates back to 1903 when mmenalogical studies started following the discovery of crude oil. Some 300 kilometers east of Lagos. A Germany company named “Bitumen Corporation obtained license form the government in 1908 to exploit the deposition of oil, unfortunately the pioneer efforts did not yield any fruitful results.
Two decades laters, another company called shell B.P. Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria resumed exploration activities after intensive co-physical and geological reconnaissance studies of the Delta area, the company in 1956 Lit on deposits in commercial quantities in Olobori in 1958, shell B.P started production at a rate of 5,100 barrels per day which was double by 1959. The success of shell B.P encouraged other companies to join in the search for crude oil by 1961: Mobil, GUIF, ELF, AGRIP TEXACO has joined in the search for mineral deposits both on shore and offshore with considerable success.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
Most often, much has been said and written about how seriously the oil companies carries out training and staff development activities. These companies have various training and staff development programmes both within the country and over-seas. This is because the companies pursuit various level of training and development to provide solution to social and economic challenges confronting oil Industries in Nigeria for better standard of living.
There is however, a problem associated with this concept of training and staff development in the oil industry. It is the absence of an empirically derived assessment of the effectiveness or otherwise of training and manpower development effects in the oil industry in Nigeria. The direct impact of the problem is that without a scientifically based empirical appraisal of the system of training and development in the oil industry, effectiveness and efficiency cannot be measured.
1.3 PURPOSE OF STUDY
The objective of this study is to determine the impact of manpower training and development in the oil in industry in Nigeria and how effective is the training development of the staff to those companies which will enable them meet the requirement of the petroleum decree of (1969) on Nigerianization position.
In trying to identify the impact of manpower training and development ,we have focused attention on the following areas;
1. To determine if this training performance is effective to the oil companies and in promoted human learning.
2. To determine if the training and development can be identified through performance appraisal, organizational analysis and survey of personnel.
3. To formulate and administered plans, delegation and controlling when necessary and disconcerting and solving day problems of the staffs or train.
4. Finally, to recognize their objectives and putting them in order of importance.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
In view of this study, there are different categories of people that can benefit from this research study they are the organization, employer/ employee and the society. It is expected that this study will provide more information to the society and organization about the impact of manpower training and development is all about and to be able to see it’s effects in our organization thereby decides on whether manpower training and development are applicable in the organization.
This study also make the organization or the society to provide the needed verifiable medium of assessing effectiveness of the staff and a clear training and development that will enhance more investment to the companies by printing performance appraisal, promotion and Nigerianization.
1.5 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
Although the oil industry in it’s wide sense covers form engaged in exploration and production of crude oil marketing refining and transportation, this study is restricted to the narrow and common place context of the phase “oil industry” which connotes firms exploding and actually producing crude oil. The Nigeria national petroleum co-operation which is a potential oil producing enterprise in it’s own night is exuded from the study. In order to make this study a meaningful one, I will concentrate more on the impact of manpower training and development and thus industrial characteristic trends will be specifically highlighted.
1.6 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The study takes a macro-approach and thus industrial characteristics and trends will be specifically highlighted. Questionnaires have been designed to covers all salient facts of impacts of manpower training and development although not all column of information will be analyzed and used in the study. Obviously, only those informations immediately required providing a sound base for conclusion and generalization will be utilized for a study of this nature. One would have preferred to collection and the difficulty in getting questionnaire returned would mutably put a limitation on both sample size and the amount of useful data available to worse situation, the oil companies are traditionally very reluctant in giving out information especially in area considered in the oil industry circle as highly confidential and sensitive for example Nigerianization and manpower issue which constitute a part of the control them of the study. Thus, the amount of data that will evolve in this survey will be limited by the above constraints forces.
1.7 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. Dose your organization uses different appraisal form for senior staffs and junior staff?
2. In implementing manpower training and development plans, does your organization use job succession charts?
3. Do Nigerians who takes over expatriates retain the responsibilities and authority of their expatriates’ predecessor?
4. Does your organization fill vacancies by internal promotion or by recruitment from outside?
5. Have you attended training course within the last five years?
6. Do you think that your organization has so far achieved it’s objectives of developing it’s employees to meet it’s corporate goals as well as the individual employees development goals?
7. Apart from formal training, what other means does your organization employ in developing staffs?
1.8 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
Ho Training in the oil industry is not effective.
H1 Training in the oil industry is effective.
Ho Staff appraisal in the oil industry through M.B.O oriented is not administered effectively in line with M.B.O principle.
H1 Staff appraisal in the oil industry through M.B.O oriented is administered effectively in the with M.B.O principle.
Ho Inspire of the petroleum decree of 1969the oil industries have not attained 75% Nigerianization.
H1 Inspire of the petroleum decree of 1969, the oil industries have attained 75% Nigerianization.
1.9 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Manpower; this is the human resource of an organization. They are the required hands that work synergistically to attain organizational objective.
TRAINING: This is a process by which employees systematically acquire basic skilled knowledge and attitude for efficient performance of their duties.
DEVELOPMENT: It is all organization related activities undertaken to expose employees to comfortably perform additional duties and assume challenging position in the organization hierarchy.
EMPLOYEE APPRAISAL: This is concerned with the assessment of employees potential and inadequacies in respects to take retinal decision in such areas like promotion, transfer, dismissal and termination etc.
NIGERANIZATION: The social responsibility performed by alien firms introducing indigenes to the management of the industry Nigeria. Gradually take over from their foreign predecessor in management of the oil industry.
MANAGEMENT BY OBJECTIVE (MBO): This is management technique that encourages employees involvement in organization related activity and integrates their individual goals to niotivate higher performance.
EGBUE, C.C (1997); “A practical Approach to personnel management . page 86.
KENNEDY, J.P.J and E.L DONNELLY (1972); Manpower training and development, London; George, G.harp and co.
OLADUMMI, S.A (1986) “Petroleum industry as factor for national unity” Business times Lagos, may 26th.
SANUSI, J. (1985); “ 10 firms in oil production “ Daily times Lagos, 20th August.
UGBONWA .S. “Legal implication of the nationalization of births petroleum” page 103.
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for International clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Other Projects
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Need a Project Writer for a Different Topic
- MSC PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MBA RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- Research Project Writing Services in Lagos Nigeria (Professional Writers) -Law, MSc, MBA,PhD, Dissertations, Thesis, Assignment, Speech
- Masters Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- LOOKING FOR A WRITING SERVICES FOR AN URGENT ASSIGNMENTS OR PROJECT WORK
- PROFESSIONAL WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA (TERM PAPER, SPEECH WRITING, ASSIGNMENT, THESES, DISSERTATIONS, RESEARCH PROPOSAL, PROJECT WRITING SERVICES etc)
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- CONSULT A RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA (PH.D, MBA, MSC, M.ED, BSC)
- MANAGEMENT RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Environmental Sciences Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Human Kinetics and Health Education Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Christian Religious Studies(CRS) Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Political Science Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Accounting Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Economics Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Management Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Marketing Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Public Administration Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Analysts
- In Need of MBA Research Project Writer in Nigeria
- MBA Dissertation Research Project Writer
- MBA Project writer
- EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (BSC) DEGREE PROJECT WRITING SERVICES(B.ED,B.A,B.SC)
- MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTER OF SCIENCE (MSC) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POST GRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER DEGREE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTERS RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- EXPERT IN RESEARCH PROJECT/THESIS/DISSERTATION WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL BSC/HND RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL MBA/MSC RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL THESIS WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- SC/M.SC/MBA/PGD RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Master Degree Research Project Specialist/Writer in Lagos, Nigeria
- Hire A Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Research Project Specialist in Lagos, Nigeria