Assessment of School Health Service in Public and Private Secondary School in Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos State

ASSESSMENT OF SCHOOL HEALTH SERVICE IN PUBLIC AND PRIVATE SECONDARY SCHOOL IN ALIMOSHO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF LAGOS STATE (Chapter 1-5)

Click here to Get this Complete Project Chapter 1-5 

CHAPTER ONE

INTRODUCTION

Background of the Study

Health education is a teaching-learning process directed at a learner acquiring knowledge, positive attitude and skill or practice for the well-being of himself and others. School health services is a component of school health programme which is aimed at providing services for the wellness of school staff, students and community. The school health services is meant to promote the health of the school community and without it, there will be drastic reduction in learning (Adeyanju, 2012). Towards this, the Federal Ministry of Education (2006) in Nigeria approved the National School Health Policy, with the mission statement To put in place adequate facilities, resources and programmes that will guarantee physical and mental health, social well being and the safety and security of the school community which will promote the learning outcome of the child.

School health services refers to the procedures that are carried out by physicians, nurses, dentist, teachers and other personnel to appraise, protect and promote the health of the school children and school personnel (Okafor, 2005). It includes health appraisals treatment of common ailment including the provision of emergency care, supervising of health of children (normal), handicapped and personnel, control of communicable disease, record keeping and school nutrition programme. School health services are therefore the essential component of school health programme.

According to Ochu (1991), school health is an important aspect of public health. The services are provided at the schools by government and school authority for the development and promotion of physical, social and emotional health of the students. The Ministry of Health, Social Welfare and Education are responsible for the provision of school health services in Nigeria.

Igwe (1998), referred to school health services as all administrative health procedures by physician, nurses, teachers and other allied health personnel. He noted that some aspect of school health services are health appraisal, immunization, nutrition, health education, treatment, school health, school environment etc.

The National School health policy framework explains that school programme comprises of all projects and activities in the school environment for the promotion of health and development of the school community. It stated that the programme is one of the strategies for the achievement of Health for All (HFA) declaration, education and health related Millennium Development Goals (MDG).

The World Education Forum in April 2000 in Dakar, Senegal jointly initiated by UNICEF, UNESCO, WHO, The World Bank education international, the Education Development Centre and Partnership for child development launched the focusing resources on effective school health (FRESH) was identified to include, school health policies, water, sanitation and the environment, skilled based nutrition and health services.

In the year 2003, the Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH) and Federal Ministry of Education (FME) in collaboration with WHO carried out a study on the state of school health in Nigeria. The assessment noted the several health problems among learners, lack of health and sanitation facilities in schools and the need for urgent action in school health. The statistics from the national study of the school health system shows the distribution under health care services in school 14% of principals indicated that premedical examination was mandatory in their schools. Food handlers are screened in 17% of schools. Four-fifth of schools have first aid box. 17% of schools have school nurses, 6% of schools have linkages with government designated clinics, 29% of schools have social services provided mainly by community based organization (Federal Ministry of Education, 2003).

A well planned school health review possesses inherent values for increasing students understanding of health and health problems. The objective of school health service is to promote healthy growth and development of school child and school personnel (Ademuwagun & Oduntan, 2006).

Statement of the Problem

It has been observed that despite the role of the school in provision of school health services and health information, students are still daily subjected to various health problems such as communicable diseases, skin infection, accidents and various types of injury. These health challenges can be reduced if the school health services are functional.

Adeola (2014) reported that Nigerian students are daily exposed to dangers and hazards which make education and learning difficult in school. All efforts at addressing the issue of school health programme in Nigeria have remained largely at policy level, with minimal implementation. Oduntan, (2006) also observed that the school health programme was functional at the onset but started declining in the late eightes, this may be due to economic down turn, political instability and corruption in the last decades.

Proper implementation of school health services in the secondary school have a long way to go in the proper development of a nation. Health services are required in secondary schools both in public and private, not only to take care of the peculiar health problems of the school children but also to impact in them the knowledge, attitude and values which will foster high quality health practices.  Therefore, the purpose of this research is to assess the functionality and implementation of school health services in public and private secondary schools in Lagos State.

Purpose of the Study

The purpose of this study is to assess and compare the provision and implementation of school health services between private and public secondary schools in Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos State.

Research Questions

The following research questions will be answered in this study.

1. Will there be difference in implementation of Nutritional Services provided in public and private secondary schools in Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos State?
  2. Will there be difference in care and emergency response provided in public and private secondary schools in Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos State?
  3. Will there be difference in first aid treatment provided in public and private secondary schools in Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos State?
  4. Will there be difference in health record taking in public and private secondary schools in Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos State?
  5. Will there be difference in health facilities provided in public and private secondary schools in Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos State?

Research Hypotheses

The following hypotheses will be tested in this study.

1. There will be no significant difference in the implementation of nutritional services provided in public and private secondary schools in Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos State.
  2. There will be no significant difference in case and emergency response provided in public and private secondary schools in Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos State.
  3. There will be no significant difference in first aid treatment provided in public and private secondary schools in Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos State.
  4. There will be no significant difference in health record in public and private secondary schools in Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos State.
  5. There will be no significant difference in health facilities provided in public and private secondary schools in Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos State.

Significance of Study

The study is aimed at assessing school health service in public and private secondary schools in Alimosho local government area in order to:

1. Help implement the national school health policy framework in various schools health programme in Alimosho.
  2. It creates awareness to the principals and proprietors of schools about introducing health linkages to either government or private basic clinics.
  3. The study will also reveal the level of health care facilities provided in schools both private and government
  4. It will form a baseline study for those who would like to carry out study on a related topic to this study.
  5. Enhance national health policy to meet needs, problems and expectation of students and teachers.

Limitation of the Study

Some likely challenges that the researcher could encounter in the course of the study are some of the participants may not be sincere in filling the questionnaire. Effort will be made by the researcher to convince them that their responses will be made confidential.

Delimitation of the Study

The study will be delimited to the following;

1. The use of descriptive research method
  2. Secondary school management staffs (Principals, Vice principals, PHE teachers, Nurses/Physicians).
  3. Five hundred participants selected from twenty private and public schools in Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos State.
  PRIVATE SCHOOLS PUBLIC SCHOOL
1. Doriegos Private Academy Alimosho Senior Grammar School
2. Aunty Yemi Group of School Model College Meiran
3. Elias International School Community Secondary School
4. Faith Concept Private School Estate Senior Secondary School
5. Apex Brilliant Academy Command Secondary School
6. Good Shepherd International Olorun Funmi Senior Grammar School
7. Eminent Group of Schools Igando Junior Grammar School
8. Honeyland International School Government Junior Comprehensive College
9. Kingdom heritage School Igando Senior Grammar School
10. Silver Dale Secondary School State High School

The use of multistage sampling technique to select the respondents.

Inferential statistics of t-test.

Operational Definition of Terms

Assessment: Looking into the school health service that is obtainable in secondary schools.

School Health: State of well-being of the school, staff and students of secondary school.

School Health programme: In this context is a series of harmonized project, activities in the school environment for the promotion of the health and development of the school community.

School Health Services: Health services provided in the school to ensure health-and safety staff and students

Health Records: This is the record taken of previous health challenges and physical characteristics of the students

Emergency Response: This is the response adopted by school health service providers to ensure that situations are under control and prevent further aggravation.

Health Facilities: These are facilities provided in schools to aid treatment of injured students.

Health Personnel: This is the person who provide first aid treatment and referral of students to hospitals e.g. PHE teacher, Nurse.

School Leadership: The people who are in charge of the school administration.

First Aid Treatment: Prompt and emergency treatment given to an injured students or staff.

Project Overview

Click here to Get this Complete Project Chapter 1-5      Number of Pages: 68 with Questionnaire

Need a Project Writer for a Different Topic